The ability of creative thinking is the essence of the work of modern designer. The program of Graphics in BA level at AHE provides a comprehensive education in three specializations: Visual Communication and Multimedia, Photography, Computer Game Art and Design. Such an extensive offer gives an opportunity to gain knowledge and experience in areas such as multimedia design, typography, branding, printmaking, motion design. Thanks to the modern educational base, professional equipment and innovative teaching methods, students develop their creativity, build portfolios and acquire the necessary skills in the career of the designer.
The year 1972 was crucial, not only because of the Olympic Games in Munich, premiere of “The Godfather”, and Michael Jackson’s first solo album, but also the Atari company released the game Pong. Since that moment has started the rapid growth of the game market.
Today with the eighth generation of games, the global industry is worth 90 billions USD. Poland also has a stake in this – the games like The Witcher and Dying Light gained recognition around the world. The next expected releases are on the way.
The offer of the University of Humanities and Economics in Lodz is a response to the needs of students interested in the computer games design. But unlike many other universities, AHE offers artistic approach to designing virtual space and computer game elements.
These unique courses in the new specialization are precisely tailored to meet the needs of an emerging market:
- Game art – design block: designing the game as a whole, post-production and special effects;
- Environment and character design - 3D modeling, scenography, characters, level design;
- Graphic design in games – interface.
During the courses of 3D graphics and game art studies are carried subjects such as: video and audio editing, 3D modeling and animation, digital painting, and work in Autodesk 3Dmax and Adobe Creative Cloud.
The artistic approach to virtual spaces and high-quality graphic design will be a very important element in popularity and financial success of the games.
Instead of stiff programming approach, AHE puts emphasis on creativity and artistry which is unique in the entire country.
The purpose of studies
Education in the field of 3D graphics, with special emphasis on realtime rendering and multimedia applications.
Issues covered by the programme:
- structure of the multimedia application.
- types of games/entertainment; historical view.
- pre-production (game design). From the idea to the creation of a design document (design doc); drawing concept; blueprint – rules and differences.
- production process (pipeline) of the project as a whole and production processes of each department. Types of structure of the team and management models. Career paths and specialization within the teams.
- user interface design (UI). Examples. Implementation.
- creating a model :
- tools and methods of modeling
- low poly modeling (tools, methods, topology of the net – loop flow)
- UV mapping (UV layout, skinning, etc.)
- texturing (types of textures, digital painting, the use of photography, seamless textures, procedural materials)
- sculpt tools and 3D painting tools
- normal banking
- retopology of the net
- philosophy of the work with shaders, theory of the shaders, and the principles of their construction
- ways to prepare of shaders for two types of engines (PBR and specular)
- workflow (texturing) for each of types
- rig and animation. Types, use
- special effects (VFX) – particle systems
- rendering (effects of postproduction in realtime rendering).
Studies in English - online recruitment